Announcements > Announcements

I'm sorry

(1/5) > >>

Lyn Chase:
Dear SpiritWars family,
  I have some bad--and embarrassing--news.  We have run into a major, perhaps insurmountable, problem with the SpiritWars code.  I truly believed that we were going to be able to bring back the game.  I never meant to mislead you and I hope you'll forgive me.
  SpiritWars was written in a programming language called Visual Basic 6.  This language was old even when Randy was working on it.  Randy was a self-taught programmer and did his best but didn't live long enough to learn a newer language.  He spoke of wanting to rewrite the game in .NET, the newer version of Visual Basic, but it didn't happen.  A little lesson in programming that I just learned today:  Programmers don't write all the code themselves.  They often purchase "things" that they embed or somehow utilize in their own code.  In the case  of SpiritWars, there were things called "controls" that Randy apparently purchased from a "controls" company.  Those controls are ancient and will no longer work in today's technological environment.  It will be necessary to completely rewrite SpiritWars.
  Eric and I need your help.  Please tell us what you would like us to do, keeping in mind that we don't have the money to hire a team of programmers to do the rewrite.  Should we try a kickstarter campaign?  I'm afraid that we can't do it by ourselves.  Do any of you know how to approach investors?  Are any of you programmers who would want to work as a team to bring it back?   I can't tell you why, but I don't feel ready to just give up.  I apparently still have some fight left in me to keep trying.  We NEED your input.
  Eric attends community college and I work at my small (and not very successful) business teaching people to become nursing assistants.  But even if we had no other comittments, we don't have the knowledge to move forward with SpiritWars by ourselves.  I believe that you, dear SpiritWars family, are the best people to help us figure out a direction.  I'll be looking for your comments.
          Love, Lyn   (aka Mom)

Imprimis:
I would be willing to support a kickstarter campaign but my means are limited. I do not know any programmers nor am I able myself. I hope the support keeps up for the game and we can find a solution.

ekoms:
I am all in to help, i know a few programmers that perhaps could offer assistance. Let me know how I can help.

Lyn Chase:
Thank you!  Ekoms, do any of the programmers you know have knowledge of Visual Basic 6 and either PHP or Java?  It will be necessary to completely rewrite SpiritWars, and it makes the most sense to convert it to a language that would work with mobile devices.  I have NO knowledge of programming.  At all.  So I must rely on others to advise me.  It might have to be a collaborative effort with multiple programmers in many parts of the country working together.  I still have no idea how to fund it since I have NO money.  But I am grateful for everyone who wants to help.  Even those who think good thoughts are important to me.  I'll be watching the board here to see what else others have to suggest.  Take care.        Lyn

TwistedMe:
Yea, I figured that's where we were headed.  I also know nothing about programming, but it just "seemed" to me that it would be easier to just have the game re-written from scratch then to try and manipulate the old stuff.  I'm guessing that's not something Brett is interested in taking on... Have you considered something like Freelancer.com?  I don't know much about the "hire a programmer" sites out there, but they appear to be abundant and relatively cheap... but of course, then you'll need someone who can perform maintenance and upgrades and insert new "stuff" and you could find yourself with an on-going headache... here's some decent thoughts on getting started with something like that... http://sivers.org/how2hire    Sorry for the hassle, Lyn!  You have decisions to make... make the BEST one for YOU and your family!  We'll support your decision whatever you decide to do!   ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version