General Category > Forum Bugs, Suggestions, Complaints

Suggestions for SpiritWars 2013

<< < (3/3)

Xaxyx:
The relationship between rating and turn order should be severed.  Tying turn order to rating only serves to encourage the manipulation of rating in order to affect turn order.  There were players (*raises hand unabashedly*) who would purposely go on long losing streaks using garbage card decks in order to butcher their own rating, then swap to their "real" deck and play against high rated players, guaranteed to go second every time.  (Other rating manipulation shenanigans existed as well, though we can get into those later.)

Turn order should be random.  If, as asserted, going second is a supposedly distinct advantage over going first, then alter the *game mechanics* -- not the rating system -- to accommodate this disparity and level the playing field.  It took MtG a while, but eventually they came up with skipping the first card draw for the start player for tournament play.  This seems to work well.  Perhaps we could do something similar here, or even not so similar, for the first turn of player #2.

King Leshrac:
It all depends on your deck.  I know back in trade, my yellow deck was actually much better if it was first move,except in the close games where we were both at 3 life, and then if i was second i could use eye for an eye and win haha.  And experienced players could do some things moving first to bait second move players into a trap.

Psyclone:
There were definitely first move decks that worked, but it was the exception and not the norm.  I really think the combat system needs to be tweaked/revamped to remove the first turn/second turn disparity. 

There really shouldn't be a difference between 1st and 2nd move.  It just creates waaaaay too many problems with balancing, fairness, exploiting, fun, etc.

cbrooks:
These are great suggestions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version