General Category > SpiritWars Discussion

What you would like to see in a new SW

(1/3) > >>

cbrooks:
Hello,
My name is Chris Brooks and I am going to be working on a new version of Spirit Wars.  I am a former player as well so that helps.  I have analyzed as much of the code and data as I could up to now and have been able to reverse engineer the maps and some of the spirits.

I would like to know what some of your favorite spirits were and how they worked as some of that is not clear in what I have found in the code.  I was very much into blue and white when I played but I did not play as much green and yellow etc.

I would also be interested in knowing what you as former players would like to see in a new version.  Should we stick to the letter of the old version as much as possible or go in a different direction?  What is it you always wanted to see in SW?  For example, for me I always wanted to play against multiple opponents on a larger map.  Perhaps random maps etc. 

If you have any questions about me or my plans feel free to ask as well.

Thanks,
Chris Brooks (rivstyx)       

Lyn Chase:
Hi Chris!  I'm so happy to see you here!  I'll talk to Eric about how to send out an e-mail to ask message board members to come visit and express their thoughts. 
Lyn

Psyclone:
hey chris.. good luck with the re-code. i have all the maps and spirit data in noth spreadsheets and a mysql database.

i would vote for keeping the game the same for the most part.

Here are some of my opinions/suggestions...

• Make unique map icons for each spirit (except spells of course which arent placed on the map) along with the spirits stats

• I always liked the idea of randomly generated maps.  I played A LOT of SpiritWars and after a while I knew some of the maps and where the enemy castle or certain homelands were from the start of the game and I thought it was a huge and unfair advantage.

• Develop an AI so players can play against the CPU. This will also open up other possibilities such as multi-player raiding, campaigns, etc.

Good Luck Chris!

cbrooks:
Yeah I was thinking that instead of using the standard shield, horse and arrow icons to use a smaller thumbnail of the spirit artwork as well.  When you hover over the icon a bigger image and description would appear.

If you have some spreadsheets I would love to see them.  I have converted the access data into CSV's and am going to be porting that into SQL Server but mainly as a reference.  The new architecture will be nothing like the current system but I am trying to duplicate as many of the spirit abilities as I can.  I would be curious to see your MySQL version as well.

Psyclone:
cbrooks... i messaged you with the dump file.  Just paste it into notepad and you should be able to access it.  If it didn't work, just send me your email address and i will send you the MySQL dump file, it's only 182 KB.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version