Author Topic: The Resume of a G33k  (Read 7063 times)

Bret

• View Profile
The Resume of a G33k
« on: October 24, 2013, 07:11:22 PM »
Where do I start?   :o  I guess I can start at the beginning...

My Mom and Dad met... oh wait... you probably didn't need me to go back THAT far!   ;D

My dad was a self taught Computer G33k (and HAM radio) and he got me started in computers.  In the early 80s (yes, I'm old) I had a PC at home and was writing BASIC programs on my VIC-20.  I then moved to playing around with the short lived PCjr, the clone PCs, and eventually to bigger and better things. 

I started working a tech job in 1993 and quickly moved up the ranks... learning... growing... getting fatter... lol!

Along the way I had a daughter, and I got married... in that order... I know... I'm bad...

Since those early days... I've leveled-up in my G33k class... from a plain G33k... to a Hyper-G33k... to a Mega-G33k... to an Absolute-G33k... to where I am today... Epic-G33k...

I have worked on every MS operating system EVER created... from DOS 1.0 to Windows 8.1... I've been working on the Internet before most people even knew it existed!  My first modem was a 1200bps modem, and didn't even support touch-tone dialing!  Wow... that was a long time ago.

I now work for a Fortune 500 company.  I grew up in San Jose, CA... but in 2000 I moved up to the Portland Metro area in Oregon. 

To make this a well rounded Resume... I thought I should mention some non-G33ky stuff... well... sorta...

Hobbies:  Reading, Watching TV, playing World of Tanks, and in general being a G33k

Family:  I've been Married for almost 17 years, and I have a 20 year old daughter.  My dad passed away when I was 17, but my mom and two siblings are still alive and kicking!  I'm the only G33k in the family though!

Friends:  I don't have a lot of friends, I tend to be an introvert.  Which means I spend most of my time by myself  :)

4 Legged Family:  We have 3 dogs.  A Great Dane, a Yorkie, and a Chiweenie.  We also have a cat, but she's my wife's cat... I'm just not a cat person.

Other:  I have recently been approched by NW Natural Gas for an opportunity to supply gas to them.  We haven't worked out the details yet, but they've indicated with my own natural gas supply I should be a millionaire quickly!  :o

Feel free to ask me any questions... and I'll feel free not to answer them... lol

Psyclone

• View Profile
Re: The Resume of a G33k
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 03:14:47 PM »
LOL... I remember the good ole days of DOS.  I'm not old enough to remember DOS 1.0, I'm 42, but I  know I was using DOS 2.x when we got our brand new 286 IBM clone with a 24-pin dot matrix printer and 5 1/4 inch floppy drive for the low price of $3500. Prior to that I remember programming games in BASIC on my Atari 800XL a few years after my Intellivision was obsolete. I also remember connecting to the internet in the early 1990s on my 1200bps modem through BBS's when no one knew what the hell the internet was and there was nothing on it.  Ahh, the good ole days of local BBS's, with trivia, MUDs, TradWars 2002, etc. :)

Believe it or not, I bet you'll run into a lot of old timers on here that started playing in the late 1990s who also have a g33ky background. ;)

Neo Pain

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Ah. Impressive stats. Ya I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the number of old school gamers who frequented SW. I am not quite that old school but SW was the game that really got me started into computers and online gaming. That and Baldur's Gate.

Vampira

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 12:54:23 AM »
Love your resume... and you will be perfectly fine here as long as you don't mind me biteing you for knowledge! I am here to help and will do as much as i can .
Love the game Love Mom and all our SW family ... and i have a cat that acts like a dog... hope u will like her too her name is Chloe.. she likes to help me type so all my typo's are her fault!

Brandagon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 05:50:02 PM »
How did you find out about SW Bret?
Will your job be to only make the environment functional or will you also create new content?
It's been a long time since I've played and the Free to play landscape has changed dramatically since the 90's.
Once the current environment is up and running are there plans to have the game run on something like unity where it can be pushed out to mobile devices as well?